National Cheeseburger Day is Friday, September 18th, and Food and the City has the inside scoop on what's going down at one of NYC's favorite restaurants, Boulton & Watt.
This year, Gilt City has teamed up with David Rotter, co-owner and chef over at Boulton & Watt, to create an insane cheeseburger to fulfill all of your meaty and cheesy dreams. The exclusive burger only available 9/18-9/20 features not one, but two patties, smoked bacon jam, roasted jalapeno aioli, aged Vermont cheddar, and much more.
I was given an inside on how to prepare this mouthwatering concoction, and be able to share the exclusive recipe with Food and the City readers. If it's one thing you're going to make for National Cheeseburger Day, make it this.
Boulton & Watt's GILT-FREE Burger
- 2 3oz patties from Pat LaFrieda
- Smoked bacon jam (1 Spanish onion, 3 slices of bacon, teaspoon aged balsamic)
- Aged Vermont cheddar
- Roasted jalapeño aioli (1 avocado, 1 cup mayo, 2 jalapeños)
- Bibb lettuce
- Beefsteak tomato
- Buttered brioche bun
- Salt and pepper
- Place both patties in a hot cast iron pan.
- Season them well with salt and pepper.
- Once golden brown, flip them over and sear the other side.
- Add cheese to top of flipped burgers. This will allow cheese to get soft and gooey.
- Spread bun with butter and toast.
- Once toasted, spread bacon jam and aioli on both sides.
- Stack patties and top with lettuce, tomato and pickles.
To make bacon jam:
- Cook down 1 Spanish onion sliced thin, as well as 3 slices of bacon chopped up.
- Cook on low until all is caramelized.
- Finish with a teaspoon of aged balsamic.
To make aioli:
- Roast two jalapeños.
- Place one whole avocado (seed removed), 1 cup of mayo and roasted jalapeño in food processor.
- Blend until smooth.